Pretty much the only thing I have ever known until now about Claudine Longet is that she mounted ridiculous defense for a murder rap. And the only reason I knew that is because I was reared on Saturday Night Live.
What I didn’t know until recently is that one of Longet’s standards is one of my very favorite songs.
Goes like this:
Only, I usually hear it like this:
I mean, you can spoof on Randy Newman all you want:
But he wrote this lovely thing.
Covers of the song are not uncommon, shall we say. But you haven’t lived until you’ve heard this one:
Just sit for a moment and let that sentiment sink in: Human kindness is overflowing. And, I think it’s going to rain today. Then try not to smile. It’s really something.
So I’ve got to thank my Moms for an early birthday present. Have a look.
Last weekend was an Edinboro visit weekend, as the previous was the big family reunion. It was grand and both locations are beautiful off the charts. Plus, we had a mission, to get my Granny set up with a compyooter since the provider she’s used for years is shuttering.
The book seller lady has moved out of the mall onto Erie Street. And the world-famous Edinboro Mall is still sad. But it certainly is beautiful and an excellent locale to scout out some good cast iron. (This pan was a bargain at $22.50.)
More YouTube goodness, a wonderful Nova episode regarding Darwin and evolution:
- So, if you choose to sit in a public bathroom stall singing a song at the top of your lungs, what is the best song choice you can come up with? I learned today from an actual event that it is: “Still Rock and Roll to Me” by Billy Joel.
- Try as you might, there is no elegant way to haul a 36-roll package of Scott Bathroom Tissue across a trendy downtown avenue.
- Why most modern action films are terrible (rogerebert.com)
- CATS (newt in the throat)
- I Left My Camera Bag on a Train (PetaPixel)
- Here’s a Peek at the Holocaust Clown Film Jerry Lewis Is Hiding (Gawker)
- my band name’s better than your band name (MetaFilter)