All I’m going to do is to embed the YouTube link and copy the notes. That’s all I need to do because this is a great bootleg.
Frank Zappa – Fred Zappelin (Discogs)
This recording is a digital copy of the Frank Zappa vinyl bootlegrecord Fred Zappelin.
Fred Zappelin (2 LP) – in a spirit of overall fun and merriment, the idea was tossed around alt.fan.frank-zappa that “one of the early ’80s albums” would have had Fred Zeppelin as a working title. He was really drunk, though / I don’t know if it’s real –
Cologne musicians: Frank Zappa, Ike Willis, Tommy Mars, Arthur Barrow, Ray White and David Logeman
* Sporthalle, Cologne, 7-Jun-1980
US musicians: Frank Zappa, Ike Willis, Steve Vai, Ray White, Arthur Barrow, Vinnie Colaiuta, Tommy Mars and Bob Harris
* Phoenix, Arizona, 13-Oct-1980
* Palladium, New York 1-Nov-1980
* Various (frankly unkown) USA locations and dates late 1980
* Tracks 1-9 are live in Cologne 7-Jun-1980.
1. A Pound for a Brown on the Bus
2. Pick Me, I’m Clean
3. Society Pages
4. I’m a Beautiful Guy
5. Beauty Knows No Pain
6. Charlie’s Enormous Mouth
7. Dancin’ Fool
8. Bobby Brown
9. Ms Pinky
* Tracks 10-11 are live in Phoenix, Arizona, 13-Oct-1980.
10. Truck Driver Divorce
11. Luigi & the Wise Guys[listed as “You’re a Dork”]
* Tracks 12-17 and 21-23 are from various unknown US live dates late 1980.
* Tracks 18-20 are from the late Palladium show in New York 1-Nov-1980.
12. Outside Now
13. Tinseltown Rebellion
14. The Dangerous Kitchen
15. The Blue Light[listed as “Your Ethos”]
16. Dumb All Over
17. Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously?
18. Black Napkins / Introduction
20. Goblin Girl
21. Broken Hearts Are for Assholes
22. I’m so Cute
Issued in December 1980 with a black & white paper insert. The original edition was 2000 copies, but a re-press of 500 copies came in a deluxe colour sleeve, and another 500 copies were pressed on coloured vinyl.
This boot was made from a soundboard tape stolen from Carlos Santana’s luggage at a hotel in New Haven, Connecticut, where Carlos was staying after a concert at the “New Haven Colliseum” [?]. Crazy but true. (A “friend of the thief” has been in touch, reporting that he also came by some Santana tapes of the same time period, as “both Frank and Santana were touring Europe at the same time”.)