First of all, it just looks good. Congress just concluded its 113th session yesterday (with a slew of nominations approved), then today President Obama gets to announce that we’re welcoming an American home from captivity and that he intends to normalize relations with Cuba, a historic policy shift. At the very least, the president won the press cycle.
This president seems to have a chronic talent for properly leveraging good policy with good politics, and this may be the finest example of it. Policy-wise, warming things up with Cuba is a win win win win win. And the only people who will hate it are Cubans in Miami, dead-set Obama-obstructers, and/or Marco “Polo” Rubio and Jebidiah Bush. Who else thinks that reforming this vestigial policy is a bad thing?
- Obama’s Very Sly Cuban Move (Mother Jones)
- Did Barack Obama Just Win Florida for the 2016 Democratic Nominee? (The Nation)
- Rubio struggles with condemnations of Obama’s Cuba policy (MSNBC)
- The ‘Obama refuses to lead’ crowd falls silent (MSNBC)
- Right-Wing Media Lash Out After Obama Announces Deal With Cuba (Media Matters)
- Obama’s Had a Helluva Good Month Since the Midterms (Mother Jones)
In other news, Pat Robertson has expressed belief in one of the most ignoramus things that can be said regarding my LGBTQCZSPUXT brothers and sisters and other-genders.
“Those who are homosexual will die out because they don’t reproduce.”
Um, Pat? I know many gay people who HAVE PROCREATED.
And the ghey? It ain’t hereditary.
And also, Pat? YOU JUST ADMITTED IT ISN’T A CHOICE.
And a church that won’t let its parishioners co-mingle? Who are these people?
- Best Ever Albums Overall Chart